Hitchhiking is the way of life in Mongolia. Out in the countryside, where there are few cars, everyone seems to stop to help a hitchhiker. This has continued even in the city, Ulaan Bataar. There are few official taxis around and that’s because everyone can be a taxi driver. I think this is where uber got their idea from. There are some horror stories out there, but if you’re smart about it, you shouldn’t have any issues.
Step 1: wave your hand as you normally would at any car passing by.
Step 2: tell them where you are going or show them a map. Most of them won’t be able to speak English.
Step 3: agree on a price. 2000mnt will get you to most places in the city, you can probably go for a bit lower depending on distance.
Now you have a ride to your destination!
- Look for a car without tinted window.
- Look for an older driver
- Be sure to agree on a price before getting into the car
- Have a general idea of where you’re going, just in case they try to take you somewhere else
- Once you arrive at your destination, open your door before you pay, so that the driver can’t try to get more money from you.
- If it’s late, travel with a friend.